English

US-Iran tensions escalate: Trump has option of attacking Khamenei and his son!

US-Iran tensions escalate: Amid heightened tensions over potential US attacks on Iran, a media report states that President Donald Trump has been presented with “military options,” which include directly targeting Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his son.

An Axios report quoting US officials said that Iran’s upcoming nuclear proposal faces significant challenges, as the plan will require convincing many skeptics within the Trump administration.

On Friday, President Trump said he was considering a limited strike against Iran, having already ordered a large naval reinforcement to the Middle East to force Tehran to agree to a deal limiting its nuclear activities.

When reporters at the White House asked whether limited military action was being considered to force nuclear concessions, Trump replied: “I think I can say I’m considering it.”

On Thursday, Trump warned that “bad things” would happen if Tehran failed to finalize an agreement within 10 days, a timeframe he later extended to 15 days.

A senior US official told Axios that the Trump administration is open to considering a proposal that would allow Iran “token” nuclear enrichment if it leaves no viable path to building a bomb.

A senior US official said, “President Trump will be willing to accept a deal that is realistic and that he can sell politically at home. If we want to prevent an Iranian attack, they must make us an offer we can’t refuse. The Iranians are repeatedly missing opportunities. If they play games, we won’t have much patience.”

A Reuters report on Friday, quoting two US officials, said that US military planning against Iran has reached an advanced stage, including options such as targeting civilians as part of an attack and, if President Trump orders, a regime change in Tehran.

According to the report, a US official mentioned Israel’s success in targeting Iranian leaders during last year’s 12-day war with Iran. At the time, sources in the region told Reuters that at least 20 senior commanders were killed, including the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, Major General Mohammad Bagheri.

A senior Trump adviser told Axios, “The president hasn’t decided to attack yet. I know that because we haven’t. He might never do it. He might wake up tomorrow and say, ‘That’s it.'”

The adviser said the Pentagon had presented Trump with several options.

Referring to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and his son Mojtaba, who is seen as a potential successor, the adviser said, “They have something for every scenario. In one scenario, the Ayatollah and his son and the mullahs are killed.”

The Axios report said that the plan to kill Khamenei and his son was briefed to Trump several weeks ago. Iran’s foreign minister says both sides have agreed to submit a draft.

Meanwhile, Tehran indicated that the two sides had agreed to create a draft version of a potential agreement, a move that Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described to US media as the “next step.”

He said, “I believe that in the next two, three days, it will be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, it will be handed over to Steve Witkoff.”

Araghchi also claimed that US diplomats had not insisted on halting Tehran’s uranium enrichment activities, a claim that contradicted public statements by US officials.

The two adversaries held their first round of talks in Oman on February 6, their first direct dialogue since negotiations broke down during the 12-day conflict between Iran and Israel last June – a war in which the US participated by bombing Iranian nuclear sites.

“We haven’t offered any suspension, and the US side hasn’t asked for zero enrichment,” he said in an interview released by US TV network MS NOW on Friday.

He added, “We’re currently talking about how to ensure that Iran’s nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and always remains peaceful.”

(With inputs from agency)